Moomin mugs are a popular collectable among both young and old! The adorable Moomin cups are decorated with illustrations based on Tove Jansson’s Moomin tales. Whether you are a Moomin fan or a collector, we have the Moomin mugs for you here at Nordic Nest!
Moomin Mugs - Something for everyone!
Are you a Moomin fan, or perhaps a collector? Here at Nordic Nest you will find the whole assortment of Moomin mugs from Arabia, as well as enamel mugs from Muurla. These mugs feature charming motifs based on Tove Jansson’s original characters and illustrations.
On the mugs you will find all the popular characters such as Moomin, Snufkin, Little My and many more! These lovely mugs are popular all around the world and have become sought after collectors items, so grab them before they’re gone!
Which is the most expensive Moomin mug ever?
Moomin mugs are extremely popular, and some of the Moomin mugs released have become highly sought after items. Did you know that the most expensive Moomin Mug, called the “Fazer mug”, was sold on the Swedish auction site Tradera for a whooping 84 900 SEK (Approx. 7 200 £). So always make sure that you take care of your Moomin mugs, because in the future they might be worth a fortune!
Moomin seasonal mugs
In addition to the regular assortment of mugs, Arabia has a tradition of releasing seasonal Moomin mugs every year. This tradition started in 2006 when Arabia released their very first seasonal Moomin mug.
When are the seasonal Moomin mugs released?
Seasonal Moomin mugs are released twice a year, one in winter and one in summer, and only a limited amount of them are released. The Moomin winter mug is sometimes also referred to as Moomin Christmas mug. If you wish to get one of these limited edition Moomin mugs you better be quick!
This years seasonal mugs:
Here you will find latest released Moomin mug 2020: Snow Blizzard
How often are new Moomin mugs released?
In addition to the two yearly seasonal releases of Moomin mugs, Arabia tends to release one to two mugs as part of their regular assortment of Moomin Mugs.
New Moomin mugs 2020
Here are this years newcomers:
Tip: Subscribe to our newsletter and keep and eye out so you don't miss the next release!
What is a special edition Moomin mug?
Some Moomin mugs are neither part of the seasonal nor the regular assortment of Moomin mugs. These mugs come in limited supply and feature new and exciting motifs and illustrations. These mugs are launched for various reason, but usually during special occasions.
Here are a few examples of special edition moomin mugs:
The Millenium Moomin mug was released to celebrate the coming of a new millenium.
Tove’s Jubilee mug
Tove’s Jubilee mug was released in 2014 in as part of the celebration the 100th birthday of the creator of Moomin, Tove Jansson. One in six of these mugs featured a pair of glasses on the inside of the mug, making these extra special and highly sought after.
Moomin’s day mug
This mug was released to pay tribute to Tove Jansson on her birthday, and was sold only during one day, the ninth of august 2018.
Can I wash my Moomin mugs in the dishwasher?
Yes! All Arabia’s and Muurla’s Moomin mugs are dishwasher safe. But here are are a few simple care instructions you can follow to ensure that your mugs last as long as possible:
- Always use rinse aid when you wash your mugs. This makes the surface of the mugs less susceptible to scratches and other damage.
- Handle your mugs with caution, especially when they are wet! Wet porcelain items grinding against each other creates greater friction, which makes it easier to damage your porcelain mugs. So make sure to wipe your mugs dry after they have been washed.
- Make sure that your mugs do not grind against each other, and avoid stacking them. This can greatly increase your Moomin mug's lifespan.
Where are Moomin mugs made?
Arabia Moomin mugs are manufactured by carefully selected suppliers, most of which are located in Thailand. Muurlas products are primarily manufactured in Europe, in Finland, Croatia and Serbia, amongst other places.
Things to consider when buying a Moomin mug:
- The enamel mugs by Muurla are made by hand. This can result in slight variations in the appearance of these products.
- Enamel mugs are more durable than porcelain mugs, but if you want to ensure that your enamel mugs last as long as possible, it is still important to properly care for them as they can still break when enough force is applied.
- Some Moomin mugs are made in limited supply, so in order to ensure that you get one you have to be quick!. When they are sold out, the only way to get them is through auction sites and second hand shops.
Did you know?
Moomin mugs are of course based on the the beloved characters created by Tove Jansson. But the Tove behind the porcelain mugs is an entirely different person.
Tove Slotte is the designer behind Arabia's highly popular Moomin mugs. She has been making them since 90s, and all her illustrations draw inspirations from Tove Janssons originals.