FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS OVER $199
365 DAYS RETURN POLICY
5% OFF FOR NEWSLETTER-SIGN UP
Malin Brandén is the community planner who became a florist and founded Blombruket. The florist offers sustainable cut flowers on subscription, straight to your mailbox.
The most important thing to keep in mind when choosing a vase for cut flowers, is where you want to place the bouquet.<br>
- If you have a very tall bouquet, then, naturally, you need a tall vase. Aesthetically speaking a tall vase looks best on a side table, for example. If, on the other hand, you want your bouquet in the centre of the dining table, it is better to go with a lower, rounder vase, Malin suggests.
Malin Brandén went from community planner to florist. Malin had a desire to work more creatively, with a passion for flowers and flower arranging she kept an eye out for development opportunities in the flower industry. In 2019 Malin started the company Blombruket. Prepacked in stylish boxes and delivered directly to your door - Malin's business concept is based on offering customers more sustainable cut flowers on a subscription basis.
As well as offering beautiful flowers by subscription, Blombruket also offers tips on how to put together the bouquet and which vase works best.
In addition to a weekly beautiful bouquet, the stylish cardboard box from Blombruket also includes instructions on how to arrange the bouquet as well as the type of vase that will do justice to the flowers themselves.
- I think there is added value in the whole experience and to actually be able to arrange the flowers yourself in a vase, says Malin.
So what kinds of vases should we have at home for our beautiful bouquets of flowers? Here are Malin's three top tips for choosing the right vase for your cut flowers.
According to Malin, the narrow cylindrical vases that most of us have at home are difficult to use if you want display your bouquets to their best.
I think you should have a globe vase or larger vase with a wide bottom and narrower opening. It is the most versatile form of vase for several varieties of cut flowers.
- Even if the cut flowers are tied or you arrange them yourself, you want to place stems at an angle in the vase. A round vase makes it easier to get the flowers in place neatly and you get more volume in the bouquet, says Malin.
- So definitely a globe vase or larger vase that is wide at the bottom and narrow at the top. Preferably in the right size because if the vase is too big, it takes quite a lot of flowers to fill it.
A tall, straight vase is perfect for tall cut flowers and trendy reeds! Here you see the Pillar vase from Cooee Design.
The Aalto vase from Iittala is a design classic and one of Malin's personal favourites.
- I think you should also have a taller, slightly straighter vase that is suitable for pampas grass, lilies or amaryllis for Christmas. This type of a vase is also perfect for tall branches when you want to build height! There are plenty of tall vases with a straight form, but if Malin gets to choose then she chooses a timeless classic: - The Alvar Aalto vase from Iittala is lovely. If you are only going to invest in a few vases, there is a reason why these design classics are still popular. They fulfil their function and are easy to use, says Malin.
Tall vases work perfectly for flowers with long stems such as lilies and amaryllis.
Florist's tip: small vases are a must have at home so you can take care of every little flower.
I also think it pays to have one or two small vases so you can take advantage of the smallest little flower. Everything from the small twig that falls off the bouquet at home to the snowdrops you pick up on your spring walk.
- You can be creative and make vases out of whatever you have at home. Small vases can be created out of items you have lying around the house! It can be a glass jar, small bottles or even a little candle lantern suggests Malin.
You can use candle holders, small bottles or glasses for a mini bouquet - here we used the Ultima Thule shot glasses as a vase.
Florist's tip: start with the feeling of the bouquet when choosing a vase and think about colour and shape.
Once you have the flowers and the vase, the best way take care of your flowers by giving them a fresh cut s- preferably with help from a set of sharp secateurs.
Need more care tips to make your flowers last longer? A clean vase. Change water often & wash the vase in between water changes to get rid of bacteria.
Once you have the flowers and the vase, you need to know how to make them to last as long as possible. According to Malin, a bad cut is the most common mistake people tend to make with their flowers.
You will find more beautiful vases for a bouquet of flowers in our wide range of vases.
Text: Arijana Kapic Styling: Angeliqa Daldorph, Josefin Beijer, Cooee Design, Broste Copenhagen Photo: Angeliqa Daldorph, Ludvig Gropp, Cooee Design, Broste Copenhagen