FREE SHIPPING FOR ORDERS OVER $199
365 DAYS RETURN POLICY
5% OFF FOR NEWSLETTER-SIGN UP
Anela Tahirovic, also known as @arkihem, is a Swedish architect and influencer with an immaculately styled bookshelf and she is eager to share with you her best tips on how she did it. According to Anela, the bookshelf is often a favourite in many homes as it encourages creativity and allows the homeowner to really express themselves. But how do you succeed in decorating a bookshelf so that it feels both well-matched and balanced but at the same time practical and personal?
Here are five tips to inspire your bookshelf décor:
Anela Tahirovic @arkihem has decorated her bookshelf with portable lighting, focal points and a uniform colour scale.
The first tip is to decorate your bookcase in a uniform and harmonious colour scale. Choose one colour as your base and then bring in one or two colours to break up this colour in a few places. This will create a general sense of calmness in your shelf but also ensure the shelf does not look too cluttered or over whelming.
- My shelf consists of a base in black, white and brass. I have chosen a rich red-brown colour to add an interesting splash of colour that breaks up and catches the eye together with a single grey-green detail. Do you like a lot of colour? Then spread the different pops of colour evenly to create harmony on the shelf, says Anela.
Tip: Are your favourite books in less than harmonious colours? Place the books with the spines facing inwards to maintain a uniform colour scale on the bookshelf!
Decorating your bookcase in a uniform collection of colours will create a stylish overall impression and a sense of calm in the room.
Anela's living room is given a boost with a carefully curated, minimalist bookshelf - the secret is to decorate with just a few well considered items in one colour scale.
There are three rules when styling a bookshelf: balance, proportion and variety. According to Anela, mixing different types of interior details in different sizes creates interest as well as variety in your bookcase.
Combine both large and small objects, high and low and different materials. Try to balance your colour choices, materials and height evenly across the shelf to create balance and proportion.
- Don't be afraid to break the visual pattern with a simple detail. Sometimes it is just what is needed to create something visually interesting and which completes the shelf, says Anela.
Anela's three rules for bookshelf decor are balance, proportion and variety!
Grouping smaller items and creating eye catching focal points on your bookshelf creates a more thoughtful and impactful impression. Otherwise, according to Anela, it can often end up looking messy and unbalanced if you simply place the objects one by one.
Consider the composition of the items you would like to combine.
Start with 2-4 objects when creating a focal point and feel free to pair interior details with large contrasts in colour, shape and material.
Gather your smaller objects on top of a stack of books or on a beautiful tray to bring your grouped items together.
Group your items and create focal points on your styled bookshelf to create a more thoughtful and impactful impression!
Green plants and flowers are, according to Anela, a welcome feature when it comes to bookshelf décor ideas. They do not only bring your bookshelf to life but are a perfect opportunity to be a little extra creative.
- Maybe you add a simple cut flower to a glass vase, picking up a colour or shade from one of your interior details. This way, you create one common thread through the entire bookshelf. Naturally you do not have to limit yourself to an individual flower, it works just as well to make a big splash with a beautiful bouquet or a luscious potted plant that that gives the shelf a more personal and a lively feel, says Anela.
Decorate your bookshelf with cut flowers or green plants to create a more lively and welcoming atmosphere in the room.
Decorate your bookshelf with beautiful lighting and candles to add an extra dimension and depth to the shelf. Feel free to complete with smart LED candles that allow you to decorate your bookshelf with elegant candlesticks.
- A shelf is just as important to the experience of a room in the evening as it is during the day. I prefer Portable lighting to avoid boring cords and thus get a cleaner impression. Let the lamp become a "centre of attention" when you decorate your bookshelf - a real "eyecatcher", says Anela.
Read more: Cordless table lamps for all of life’s adventures
Lighting is essential for your bookshelf decor - portable lighting and LED lights are perfect for both style and safety!
- For me, it's a process that can take time. I move around, get a feel for things, change them again and then take another check. It is important to have a common thread and work your way forward based on some given parameters such as colour, shape and material. Let playfulness and curiosity permeate your process, concludes Anela.
Photography & styling: Anela Tahirovic, @arkihem
The bookends from Gejst in three parts, are perfect for the bookshelf.
Place smaller items on a stack of books to create height on the bookshelf.